Friday, October 8, 2010

Off to a good start - books!


In my efforts to learn more about type, text, books, artist's books, and graphic design I've picked up a few books from the library. So far, I've read my way thorough about eight or ten of the seventy nine essays in Michael Bierut's 79 Short Essays on Design. They're written by different designers They are all compellingly written by Bierut, and it contains many different insights - everything from dealing with clients to negotiating the worlds of art and design (of particular interest to me). After I've read some more, I'll be sure to post my thoughts on a few of them in a more detailed way.
Bringhurst's The Elements of Typographic Style was recommended to me by a designer friend. I've skimmed my way through it, but it seems really, really interesting. It's written to provide a comprehensive manual on typography, but it's written in a way that makes me want to read it cover to cover. I'm looking forward to learning a lot. Sol Lewitt Artist's Books will, I expect, give me a little more insight into the fine arts side of things. I've looked at Sol Lewitt before, but I don't want to make a misstep before I've read the book. I'll discuss more once I've read it.
And finally, to be honest, A Manual of Style I totally just borrowed from the library because the cover is so cool.

So I'm off to a good start as far as far as reading and studying goes, the nest part is to begin making some actual work. I'm looking forward to taking advantage of the long weekend for that purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment